Largest youth-serving agency on Long Island, serving more than 40,000 girls and 7,000 adult volunteers. One of every four girls in grades K through 12 in Suffolk County is a Girl Scout.
Mission & Objective
Girl Scouts of Suffolk County is a not-for-profit corporation governed by a board of directors and administered by President & CEO. The council has a staff of more than 90 employees and a dedicated force of more than 7,000 adult volunteers.
Girl Scouts of Suffolk County builds girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place.
Girl Scout Membership
The Council serves more than 40,000 girls between the ages of 5 and 17 (kindergarten through 12th grade).Girls can participate as members of troops that meet weekly, through group activities such as sports/workshops/training sessions, or as independent members in activities such as camping and sports without joining a troop.
Levels of Girl Scouting are Daisy (grades K-1), Brownie (grades 2-3), Junior (grades 4-5), Cadette (grades 6-8), Senior (grades 9-10) and Ambassador (grades 11-12). Worldwide, more than 3 million girls are Girl Scouts.
More than 7,000 adult volunteers in Suffolk dedicate their time and expertise as troop leaders, board members, and other key positions within the agency. Girl Scout volunteers are a diverse, dedicated and energetic group of women and men from many different backgrounds and walks of life.
All Girl Scout facilities serve as training and program centers, hosting Girl Scout activities, workshops, events and meetings. All facilities are home to a Girl Scout Shoppe, which offers patches, badges, uniforms, books, accessories, and boutique gift items.
Girl Scout Camp
GSSC operates two year-round Girl Scout camps, both accredited by the America Camping Association (ACA). In addition to traditional camping, both camps offer day care during school vacations and special spa-like camping weekends at Camp Getaway.
Camp Edey, Bayport (631) 472-1625
A 95-acre natural preserve on a chain of freshwater lakes that offers girls-only camping opportunities. Home to the Juliette Low Friendship Center, a state-of-the-art dining and program facility.
Camp Sobaco, Yaphank (631) 924-6433
A 34-acre stretch of pine barrens on the Carmans River that offers co-ed day camp for the working family, a year-round Environmental Education Center, and is home to Discovery World STEM Center
442 Moreland Road, Commack, NY 11725
(631) 543-6622 (800) 544-3092 Fax (631) 543-9005 email@example.com
From the East: The Commack Main Office is located just off Exit 53 of the Long Island Expressway. Follow signs to Wicks Road. Make a left onto Motor Parkway. The first right is Moreland Road. The Commack Main Office is the second building on the left.
From the West:Take Exit 53 off the Long Island Expressway and follow signs to Wicks Road. Make a left at the traffic light off the exit ramp onto Wicks Road. Wicks Road becomes Moreland Road once you cross over Motor Parkway. The Commack Main Office is the second building on the left.
East End Office
854 Main Street, Riverhead, NY 11901
(631) 369-9757 - FAX (631) 369-9741
From the East or West: Take the Long Island Expressway to exit 72. Follow signs for Route 25 East (which becomes Main Street.) Pass Tanger Mall on the left and proceed approx. 4-5 miles through Main Street. Pass the Atlantis Aquarium on the right, and continue heading east, crossing over the railroad tracks. The East End Riverhead Office is on the left, opposite the Millbrook Office Complex. The parking lot is located in the rear of the building.
Welcome Center, Camp Edey
1500 Lakeview Avenue, Bayport, NY 11705
(631) 472-1625 - FAX (631) 472-8199
From the East or West:Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 62 South, Nicolls Road. Take Nicolls Road South to the end to Montauk Highway. Turn right onto Montauk Highway. Go west approx. one mile to Lakeview Avenue. Turn right on Lakeview Avenue (look for a yellow sign that reads "Venero Motors.") Proceed straight on Lakeview Avenue toward Camp Edey. The Juliette Low Friendship Center is on the left. The Betty Jane Horowitz Welcome Center is on the right side of the parking lot at the end of Lakeview Avenue.
Camp Sobaco & Discovery World STEM Center
229 German Blvd., Yaphank, NY 11980
From the East:Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 66. Turn right onto Sills Road. Proceed to the second traffic light, Mill Road. Make a left onto Mill Road. Make the first right onto German Blvd. Make first two possible left turns, staying on German Blvd. Follow unpaved road to parking lot.
From the West:Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 66 (Sills Road.) At the light off the exit ramp, make a left onto Sills Road. Proceed to third traffic light, and make a left onto Mill Road. Make the first right onto German Blvd. Make first two possible left turns. Follow unpaved road to parking lot.
Girl Scout History and Milestones
1912 - The first Girl Scout troop is organized by Juliette Gordon Low in Savannah, Georgia.
1915 - The first troop in Suffolk and Long Island, and the 12th in the nation, is organized in Huntington.
1930 - Birdsall Otis Edey, noted environmentalist from Bellport, becomes the first and only Long Islander elected president of Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.
1935 - Seven individual councils begin delivering Girl Scout programs in Suffolk County.
1968 - Suffolk County Girl Scout Council is created and chartered, consolidating all Suffolk units into a centralized service delivery organization. The council opens in a small office in Smithtown.
1973 - Council Headquarters in Commack officially opens its doors.
1980 - Troop House, the first major winterized camp building opens at Camp Edey.
1988 - The mortgage is paid off on Camp Edey, and plans are drafted for a new dining hall on site.
1989 - Two satellite offices open to serve the east end of Long Island.
1990 - The Juliette Low Friendship Center officially opens at Camp Edey and in-ground pool completed at Camp Sobaco.
1991 - On-site ranger living quarters are established at Camp Sobaco.
1994 - A ranger residence is built at Camp Edey and first in-ground pool is completed.
1995 - A satellite office opens in Bayport.
1996 - The Betty Jane Horowitz Welcome Center opens at Camp Edey.
1997 - East End Office purchased, renovated and opens in Riverhead.
1999 - "In Katie's Care," a winterized year-round respite center, opens at Camp Sobaco.
2000 - Major expansion to Council Main Office in Commack completed.
2000 - A second in-ground swimming pool is built at Camp Edey.
2002 - "Girl Scouts Love New York" September 11th Memorial Patch Program is officially entered into the U.S. Congressional Record and receives international attention.
2003 - Operation: Cookie begins sending Girl Scout Cookies to soldiers overseas.
2004 - Debut of Winter Wonderland, Suffolk County's largest Holiday Light Show.
2005 - Girl Scouts make "Wish Bracelets" to help support Hurricane relief.
2009 - An all-new Energy Star efficient Betty Jane Horowitz Welcome Center opened its doors at Camp Edey.