A special Food for Friends patch is available for purchase for participating girls at all Girl Scout Shoppe locations.
Many Service Units will appoint one leader as the Food for Friends Chairperson, who is responsible for coordinating and supervising the food drive in your area. The Chairperson's responsibilities are:
- Contact local supermarkets within your Service Unit to arrange a collection point date.
- Call to confirm prior to date and ask that any available boxes be put aside for troops.
- Contact your local food pantry to ensure that they will be able to accommodate the donations and drop-offs from troops during the designated dates.
- Ask the food pantry if donations need to be organized in a particular way - each food pantry is different.
- Recruit local troops, parents and friends in your Service Unit to participate.
- Schedule girl and adult coverage at the collection sites.
- Provide instructions to participants on food collection protocol, schedule, etc.
- Remind troops to file appropriate Trip Approval paperwork and maintain proper SafetyWise coverage.
- Arrange for troops to include an Operation:Cookie or a Gift of Caring booth sale at their collection site by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (631) 543-6622.