Largest youth-serving agency on Long Island, serving more than 40,000
girls and 7,000 adult volunteers. One of every four girls in grades
K through 12 in Suffolk County is a Girl Scout.
Girl Scouts of Suffolk County is a not-for-profit corporation
governed by a board of directors and administered by President &
CEO. The council has a staff of more than 90 employees and a dedicated
force of more than 7,000 adult volunteers.
Girl Scouts of Suffolk County builds girls of courage, confidence and
character who make the world a better place.
Girl Scout Membership
The Council serves more than 40,000 girls between the ages of 5 and
17 (kindergarten through 12th grade).Girls can participate as members
of troops that meet weekly, through group activities such as
sports/workshops/training sessions, or as independent members in
activities such as camping and sports without joining a troop.
Levels of Girl Scouting are Daisy (grades K-1), Brownie (grades
2-3), Junior (grades 4-5), Cadette (grades 6-8), Senior (grades 9-10)
and Ambassador (grades 11-12). Worldwide, more than 3 million girls
are Girl Scouts.
More than 7,000 adult volunteers in Suffolk dedicate their time and
expertise as troop leaders, board members, and other key positions
within the agency. Girl Scout volunteers are a diverse, dedicated and
energetic group of women and men from many different backgrounds and
walks of life.
All Girl Scout facilities serve as training and program centers,
hosting Girl Scout activities, workshops, events and meetings. All
facilities are home to a Girl Scout Shoppe, which offers patches,
badges, uniforms, books, accessories, and boutique gift items.
GSSC operates two year-round Girl Scout camps, both accredited by the
America Camping Association (ACA). In addition to traditional camping,
both camps offer day care during school vacations and special spa-like
camping weekends at Camp Getaway.
Camp Edey, Bayport (631) 472-1625
A 95-acre natural preserve on a chain of freshwater lakes that
offers girls-only camping opportunities. Home to the Juliette Low
Friendship Center, a state-of-the-art dining and program facility.
Camp Sobaco, Yaphank (631) 924-6433
A 34-acre stretch of pine barrens on the Carmans River that
offers co-ed day camp for the working family, a year-round
Environmental Education Center, and is home to Discovery World STEM Center
442 Moreland Road, Commack, NY 11725
(800) 544-3092 Fax (631) 543-9005
From the East: The Commack Main Office is located just off
Exit 53 of the Long Island Expressway. Follow signs to Wicks Road.
Make a left onto Motor Parkway. The first right is Moreland Road.
The Commack Main Office is the second building on the left.
From the West:
Take Exit 53 off the Long Island Expressway and follow signs
to Wicks Road. Make a left at the traffic light off the exit ramp
onto Wicks Road. Wicks Road becomes Moreland Road once you cross
over Motor Parkway. The Commack Main Office is the second building
on the left.
East End Office
854 Main Street, Riverhead, NY 11901
(631) 369-9757 - FAX
From the East or West: Take the Long Island Expressway to
exit 72. Follow signs for Route 25 East (which becomes Main Street.)
Pass Tanger Mall on the left and proceed approx. 4-5 miles through
Main Street. Pass the Atlantis Aquarium on the right, and continue
heading east, crossing over the railroad tracks. The East End
Riverhead Office is on the left, opposite the Millbrook Office
Complex. The parking lot is located in the rear of the
Welcome Center, Camp Edey
1500 Lakeview Avenue, Bayport, NY 11705
(631) 472-1625 -
FAX (631) 472-8199
From the East or West:
Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 62 South, Nicolls
Road. Take Nicolls Road South to the end to Montauk Highway. Turn
right onto Montauk Highway. Go west approx. one mile to Lakeview
Avenue. Turn right on Lakeview Avenue (look for a yellow sign that
reads "Venero Motors.") Proceed straight on Lakeview
Avenue toward Camp Edey. The Juliette Low Friendship Center is on
the left. The Betty Jane Horowitz Welcome Center is on the right
side of the parking lot at the end of Lakeview Avenue.
Camp Sobaco &
Discovery World STEM Center
229 German Blvd., Yaphank, NY 11980
From the East:
Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 66. Turn right onto
Sills Road. Proceed to the second traffic light, Mill Road. Make a
left onto Mill Road. Make the first right onto German Blvd. Make
first two possible left turns, staying on German Blvd. Follow
unpaved road to parking lot.
From the West:
Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 66 (Sills Road.) At
the light off the exit ramp, make a left onto Sills Road. Proceed to
third traffic light, and make a left onto Mill Road. Make the first
right onto German Blvd. Make first two possible left turns. Follow
unpaved road to parking lot.
Girl Scout History and Milestones
1912 - The first Girl Scout troop is organized by Juliette
Gordon Low in Savannah, Georgia.
1915 - The first troop in Suffolk and Long Island, and the
12th in the nation, is organized in Huntington.
1930 - Birdsall Otis Edey, noted environmentalist from
Bellport, becomes the first and only Long Islander elected president
of Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.
1935 - Seven individual councils begin delivering Girl Scout
programs in Suffolk County.
1968 - Suffolk County Girl Scout Council is created and
chartered, consolidating all Suffolk units into a centralized
service delivery organization. The council opens in a small office
1973 - Council Headquarters in Commack officially opens its
1980 - Troop House, the first major winterized camp building
opens at Camp Edey.
1988 - The mortgage is paid off on Camp Edey, and plans are
drafted for a new dining hall on site.
1989 - Two satellite offices open to serve the east end of
1990 - The Juliette Low Friendship Center officially opens at
Camp Edey and in-ground pool completed at Camp Sobaco.
1991 - On-site ranger living quarters are established at Camp
1994 - A ranger residence is built at Camp Edey and first
in-ground pool is completed.
1995 - A satellite office opens in Bayport.
1996 - The Betty Jane Horowitz Welcome Center opens at Camp
1997 - East End Office purchased, renovated and opens in
1999 - "In Katie's Care," a winterized year-round
respite center, opens at Camp Sobaco.
2000 - Major expansion to Council Main Office in Commack
2000 - A second in-ground swimming pool is built at Camp
2002 - "Girl Scouts Love New York" September 11th
Memorial Patch Program is officially entered into the U.S.
Congressional Record and receives international attention.
2003 - Operation: Cookie begins sending Girl Scout Cookies to
2004 - Debut of Winter Wonderland, Suffolk County's largest
Holiday Light Show.
2005 - Girl Scouts make "Wish Bracelets" to help
support Hurricane relief.
2009 - An all-new Energy Star efficient Betty Jane Horowitz
Welcome Center opened its doors at Camp Edey.
2011 - Moreland Road is re-named Girl Scout Way.
2012 - Girl Scouts' 100th Anniversary Celebration
2014 - Discovery World STEM Center opens at Camp
Sobaco in Yaphank
2016 - Celebrated the 75th Anniversary of Camp
Edey at Camporee 2016
2018 - Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Girl
Scouts of Suffolk County Begins